Working for us
We currently have the following volunteering opportunities available. If these are not suitable for you and you are interested in volunteering in another area of the hospice in the future, please get in touch to register your interest.
Volunteer Listening and Support / Bereavement Visitors
Rowcroft Hospice is looking for people to join their team providing face-to-face support to patients and their families pre-bereavement and to the bereaved families, or carers, of deceased patients.
What we’re looking for?
- The ability to listen with empathy, warmth and sensitivity.
- Someone who can cope with loss and stress – both their own and that of others.
- Emotional stability, with no unresolved issues regarding life limiting illness or personal bereavements.
- Willingness to travel to a person’s home.
Experience of being with distressed people would be advantageous but not essential. Finally, confidentiality is essential, so we ask volunteers to be discreet and reliable at all times.
This is not for everyone, but our selection and training process is designed to help you discover whether or not the role is for you. The next course will be held on one full day per week over a period of 6 weeks commencing Thursday 15 February 2018. You will need to be able to attend 100% of the course.
If this role is something you are interested in, please contact Dawn Stirk for more information via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: 01803 210845.
Please note, a Volunteer Listening and Support / Bereavement Visitor is NOT a counsellor.
Rowcroft is looking for volunteer event supporters who want to work in a fun, sometimes challenging but rewarding fundraising area of the hospice.
Tasks may involve:
- Event build and preparation of the event village.
- On the day support such as marshalls, event village support, en route supporters, back walkers.
- Smiling and cheering.
Our event roles will offer you an opportunity to be part of a team at some of Rowcroft’s largest fundraising events held for the community. You will need to offer a warm smile, be bubbly and positive and keep high morale for all of our fabulous fundraisers taking part in the event or challenge.
Events that Rowcroft currently need volunteer support for are:
For an initial chat, please telephone Daniel Robson on (01803) 217632 or email email@example.com. Alternatively please look on our events pages and fill out a volunteer interest form.
Rowcroft Hospice is looking for volunteer complementary therapists who want to work in this challenging and rewarding area. Rowcroft is looking for volunteers who are qualified in Massage, Aromatherapy, Reflexology or Shiatsu to work both at the hospice and in the community.
What are we looking for?
Practitioners should be fully qualified, insured and registered with the appropriate professional body and have at least one years post-qualification experience.
The ever-expanding service and commitment to quality individual care means an expanding need for volunteers.
If you are interested please contact Julie Milton (01803) 210850 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Rowcroft Hospice retail team are looking for a friendly, passionate supporter to help within several of the shops around South Devon. There are various hours available, weekdays and weekends, in between 9am and 5pm. We will always try to work with the time you have to offer and ensure your expectations are met, a trial session can be organised for you to try out to see if you like it!
What are we looking for?
Someone who can work as part of a team, pay attention to detail, have an interest in fashion, books and household goods, enjoy working with the public, possess good communication skill and provide excellent customer service.
In return, we will offer you full training, the opportunity to use your skills to complement our work. Be part of a team of valuable, dedicated volunteers and meet new people and raise funds for your local hospice.
Minimum age for volunteering in a Rowcroft Shop is 14 years.
- Serve customers using an electronic till.
- Sorting and hanging new stock.
- Display new items in an attractive and interesting presence.
- Keeping the shop clean, tidy and welcoming.
Call into see Frances at the shop or give her a ring on (01803) 855709.
Call into see Amy at the shop or give her a ring on (01803) 834243.
Newton Abbot Distribution Centre
Call into see Paul or contact him on (01803) 217409.
Newton Abbot, town centre
Call into see Cheryl at the shop or contact her on (01803) 336674.
Call into to see Nicola at the shop or give her a ring on (01803)863245.
Paignton Furniture Outlet
Call into to see Mandy or call her on (01803) 557507.
Paignton Shop, Victoria Road
Call into to see Tanita at the shop or give her a ring on (01803) 655252.
Call into see Tracey at the shop or give her a ring on (01803) 201333.
Alternatively ring Gilli Woodage our Voluntary Service Co-Ordinator on (01803) 210852 for an informal chat.
Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) Volunteers –
Brunel Industrial Estate, Newton Abbot
About the role
To assist in the Electrical Department with PAT testing electrical items for redistribution to our 15 shops.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To physically inspect every item.
- To PAT test all donated stock that have passed the quality inspection.
- To function test all items that have passed the PAT test.
- To clean the items that have passed PAT test.
- To maintain a tidy and safe working environment.
- Attend training on starting the volunteer role, training updates and a Welcome Day within six months of commencement of volunteering.
What we are looking for:
- You will need attention to detail.
- Be able to stand for long periods of time.
- You must be prepared to work as part of a team and be able to commit to a minimum of three hours per day, twice a week.
- Monday to Friday - time to be agreed.
Weekend Receptionist - Inpatient Unit, Torquay
What are we looking for?
A welcoming face is needed on the inpatient reception desk to greet visitors. You will need to be friendly, confident, a people person, able to use a reception telephone to transfer incoming calls and have a good telephone manner.
- An opportunity to be part of a team and help support the hospice.
- Greeting visitors to the hospice.
- Filling in the log book of visitors to the hospice.
- Answering phone calls and transferring calls within the building or taking messages.
Front of House Receptionist
Saturday or Sunday 9am - 1pm & 1 pm - 4.45pm.
Saturday & Sunday 9am - 1pm.
For an initial chat, please telephone Gillian Woodage on (01803) 210852 or email email@example.com.
Rowcroft's ever-expanding service and commitment to quality individual care means an expanding need for volunteers.