Health & Social Care Professionals
Chronic Oedema Service Referrals
This service provides advice and treatment for all forms of chronic oedema including: lymphoedema, venous related oedema, dependency oedema and lipoedema.
Chronic Oedema Referral Criteria
- Any patient with chronic oedema who has had possible acute causes of oedema excluded.
- The patient must be aware of referral and be willing to engage in chronic oedema management.
- The patient must have a base line ankle/toe brachial pressure index or vascular assessment which does not indicate arterial compromise excluding the use of compression therapy.
- The patient must be registered with a GP within the hospice catchment.
- The patient must be 13 years or over.
Wherever possible we will aim to provide advice and support to enable the primary health care team to manage the patient’s chronic oedema. Joint visits will be arranged with the primary health care team where appropriate.
We will provide specialist intervention for patients who we assess as requiring one or more of the following:
- Assessment for differential diagnosis
- Complex care planning
- Complex case management
- Specialist graduated compression garment knowledge
- Advanced bandaging skills
- Lymphoedema taping
- Medical manual lymphatic drainage
- Lymphassist treatment
- Specialist skin care
- Specialist exercise, movement and mobility input
- Specialist expertise to establish in self care management
- Specialist management in advanced disease chronic oedema care
Once our intervention is complete or no longer required we will discharge patients back to the primary health care team.
There may be exceptions to these guidelines and we would be pleased to discuss any patients with you.
Chronic Oedema Service Referral Contact
Please either phone our referral telephone number 01803 210830, Monday to Friday, 09:00 - 17:00.
You can also write to: The Chronic Oedema Service, Rowcroft Outpatient Centre, Rowcroft Hospice, Avenue Road, Torquay, TQ2 5LS
All referrals are prioritised according to need.